THE FLYER'S BIBLE
These simple rules spelled success for the Philadelphia Flyer's during the tenure of Fred Shero and they can make the difference between winning and losing. Coach Shero would tell his players to write down the rules they broke during a game 5 times. It wasn't even necessary for him to mention players' names -- they knew who they were.
1. NEVER GO OFFSIDE ON A 3 ON 1, OR A 2 ON 1 -- THIS IS LIKE BACKCHECKING FOR THE OTHER TEAM.
2. NEVER THROW A PUCK OUT BLINDLY FROM BEHIND YOUR OPPONENT'S NET.
3. NEVER PASS DIAGONALLY IN YOUR OWN ZONE UNLESS 100% CERTAIN.
4. WINGS ON WINGS BETWEEN THE BLUE LINES.- THIS ELIMINATES THE FREE MAN RECEIVING A PASS.
5. THE SECOND MAN MUST GO ALL THE WAY FOR THE REBOUND.- COME IN 10 FEET BEHIND THE PUCK CARRIER LINED UP WITH THE MIDDLE OF THE NET WITH YOUR STICK ON THE ICE-STAY FOCUSED!
6. WHEN WAITING IN FRONT OF THE OPPONENT'S NET, FACE THE PUCK AT ALL TIMES AND LEAN ON YOUR STICK.
7. WHEN THE PUCK CARRIER IS OVER CENTER WITH NO ONE TO PASS TO, AND NO SKATING ROOM, HE MUST SHOOT THE PUCK IN.
8. NO FORWARD MUST EVER TURN HIS BACK TO THE PUCK AT ANY TIME.
9. NO PLAYER IS ALLOWED TO POSITION HIMSELF MORE THAN TWO ZONES FROM THE PUCK.
10. NEVER ALLOW MEN IN OUR DEFENSIVE ZONE TO BE OUTNUMBERED.
11. WHEN THE OPPONENT'S PENALTY IS ALMOST UP, EVERY PLAYER SHOULD KNOW WHO IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY.
From the Worcester Crusaders web site.